Managing Upwards can be a difficult skill to learn and practice makes it perfect. There is a proven methodology to follow and discover how to work seamlessly with people you report to. The objective of managing upwards is to get the task/job done by someone else. If practised properly, managing upwards can help save time and costs for any organisation. People often fail to delegate tasks upwards due to reasons such as fear of losing control or lack of confidence in other people.
Managing upwards is a skill and needs to be practised and refined. Participants will learn that a one size fits all style will not work. Managing upwards needs flexibility, creativeness and an understanding of human psychology.
How good are you at delegating?
Ask yourself the following:
- I delegate tasks upwards with confidence that they will be carried out.
- I make a list of tasks that I want to delegate.
- I believe delegating upwards saves the organisation resources.
- I communicate deadlines very clearly.
- I provide all necessary information to the person carrying out the task.
- I ensure the person has the resources to carry out the task.
- I clearly define the authority and responsibility of each person carrying out the task.
- I establish deadlines and milestones.
- I monitor progress and give feedback.
- I make sure I am available if a difficulty arises and help is required
- I communicate why the task has been delegated upwards
- I have a checklist.
- I work seamlessly with people I report to.
Your Managing Upwards program can be custom designed. The program provides participants with the practical techniques and tools to be better at managing upwards, thereby reorganising the workflow.
Key learning outcomes
Your Managing Upwards program will give participants the skills to:
- Use a managing upwards toolkit.
- Use group time management tips.
- Discover why managing upwards fails.
- Motivate others to complete delegated tasks.
- Understand the power of recognition and feedback.
- Communicate expectations and time frames.
- Improve current levels of team competency and trust.
- Get beyond "No" and/or "I haven't got time".
- Understand the games "task avoiders" play to avoid the task.
- Use counter measures to ensure the task is completed.
- Agree on action plans with people you report to.
- Aim for seamlessness to reduce workflow.
Would you like to attend this program?
- For maximum effectiveness, this program is best conducted as an in-house program.
- Ideal group size: 4 - 12 participants.
- Venue: For your convenience, you can choose to conduct this program at your business premises. Alternatively, we can provide a training venue at a small additional cost.
- Duration: This program can be adapted to meet your requirements.
- Cost: Price on request.
- Target Audience: Employees, Supervisors, Team Leaders and Senior Managers.
If you would like more information on this training program, please contact: Melinda Kavanagh - Marketing Manager 03 9805 8000 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org