Most companies organise programmes for employee training development. However no matter how well such training programmes are conducted, the actual proof of whether they are successful is if the employees concerned use such knowledge in their daily business routine. So the question arises – how should companies optimize the training benefits to achieve the above mentioned results?
Start on a personal level
The company should take stock of an individual’s performance. If there are areas that require improvement, the same should be worked upon. Once individual performance improves, it will have an impact on the employee’s immediate workplace. This in turn will slowly but surely have a positive effect on the whole company’s business results.
How will quality business training help
- Whatever existing skills the employees have the same can be updated.
- Additional knowledge and new skills can be imparted to employees.
- Levels of capability, confidence and competence are enhanced.
- If there are any weaknesses, the same can be taken care of.
- The right type of training will help employees to enjoy the right support which will improve their work output.
- When learning is shared it will improve team performance.
- By applying new concepts learnt in training sessions, progress in the work place gets a boost.
- By sharing information and networking, there will be an intrinsic improvement in the company’s overall performance.
The value of motivation
To help employees to perform better on an individual level, motivation is an important tool. The company needs to check out various ways and means with regard to motivation as also create conditions that will help people to peak in their performance.
A standard model for obtaining peak performance would include the following areas:
Opportunities, potential, focus, resources, expertise, potential, motivation – all of which are geared to produce results. Whatever resources the company uses for development of its employees, the same should be used with due care. After a training session has been conducted, employees would in all probability give positive feedback on the same.
This is not the actual purpose of such training. As mentioned earlier, the knowledge conveyed during such training is not a one-time benefit. Such knowledge needs to be applied on a daily basis to produce positive impact in the work place.
Importance of feedback to employees
When employees apply the training knowledge and techniques to their daily work, it is important to give them appropriate feedback. Employees should be clear about the output expected from them so they can accordingly set specific goals. Based on the results of their efforts the company should provide pertinent feedback.
From the above, it is clear that to optimise the impact of business training programmes the company should have a clear idea of the results it would like to achieve. Once the training is over, a result assessment should be taken. Training is not an end unto itself. It is a process which should lead to progression – first on an individual basis, then spreading to the rest of the company.