Confronting Middle Performance 1
Posted Date: 2013-05-28
A few years ago I had a colleague who, not matter what you asked him to do, would always say that he was in the middle of things. I never really exactly knew what it was he was in the middle of, but it was pretty important and obviously quite lengthy because he was in the middle for what seemed liked years! This sort of behaviour - middling - costs organisations hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost time and poor productivity. You can always spot the middler by their response to any question about workload, capacity...
I am just in the middle of something else at the moment
I would love to help out but I am in the middle of a few other things.
I have been in the middle of some ongoing project work which means I have got around to doing the report.
Before you can address middling behaviour you need to have some insight into the motivation of the middler. Understanding what drives and motivates the middler is the key to challenging and changing the middling behaviour. Furthermore you need to be aware of how the organisation inadvertently reinforces middling behaviour because of poor performance management, inadequate managerial skills and lack of training and development.
Here are some of the ways to deal with middlers…
- Ask them exactly what they are working on - middlers are very skilled at being non specific and non committal
- Develop very structured and focus performance measures - make it really obvious what you expect
- Follow up - you need to continually follow up and check in with middlers
- Implement consequences - if middlers don't perform be prepared to pass on the consequences of non performance
- 12 Email Management Tips to Keep Your Inbox Organised
- Professional Development - Work Smarter, Not Harder
- What Are Soft Skills and How Can These Soft Skills Better Your Career?
- Role of Emotional Intelligence in Building Leadership Skills
- February 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (2)
- October 2017 (2)
- August 2017 (2)
- July 2017 (3)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (2)
- April 2017 (1)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (3)
- January 2017 (3)
- December 2016 (2)
- October 2016 (2)
- September 2016 (5)
- August 2016 (1)
- March 2016 (8)
- February 2016 (4)
- December 2015 (5)
- November 2015 (5)
- September 2013 (1)
- August 2013 (1)
- July 2013 (6)
- May 2013 (3)